Is your skin starting to sag and feel less elastic, looser and drier? Ouch! These are the first signs that you are developing mature skin. But what does mature skin actually mean and at what age does this play a role? In general, the first signs of skin problems begin to appear from the age of 25. So quite young! This often starts with the appearance of fine lines or wrinkles, especially on the upper lip or forehead.
Good genes or not; Sooner or later, every skin ages. We therefore recommend that you start using facial oils such as rosehip oil or an anti-aging cream at a young age. Of course, you can never completely prevent your skin from aging, but you can certainly reduce or delay wrinkles through good nutrition and skin care.
Skin aging is a natural process that can be amplified by external factors.
In general, everyone hates getting older. One of the disadvantages of growing older is that your cell renewal becomes slower. The production of collagen also decreases. The result: weaker and less even skin. Are you already a bit older and do you have hormone changes during menopause? This has a major influence on the maturing of your skin. With the right care, the skin remains firm for longer and always looks nourished.
There are many external factors that can cause skin aging. Below we list a number of external factors:
- UV radiation. A fairly underestimated external factor is UV radiation. The sun is the most harmful external factor when it comes to skin aging. Even in cloudy weather! Unfortunately, skin aging due to sun damage is irreversible. It is therefore advisable to protect your skin with sunscreen with a factor of at least 30.
- Smoking. Frequent nicotine use causes narrowing of your blood vessels. This seriously affects the supply of oxygen, nutrients and vitamins to your skin.
- Alcohol. A double hangover! When you drink alcohol, your body dehydrates. This in turn can influence a decrease in collagen.
Stress. When you suffer from stress for a long time, you are more likely to suffer from skin aging symptoms. Stress produces the hormone: cortisol. This stress hormone causes collagen production to decrease.
How can I recognize a mature person?
These are often the first signs to recognize mature skin:
- The skin begins to biologically age in women between the ages of 25 and 30.
- The first signs are often a lack of elasticity and loss of moisture.
- Wrinkles and crow's feet
- Sagging skin, especially around your neck, cheeks and eyelids)
- Age spots or pigment spots
- The skin can no longer easily store moisture and dehydration can cause sagging skin and even irritation.
- Mature skin also becomes weaker and the first pigmentation discolourations may appear: especially in the décolleté and upper arms, because these areas are more often exposed to the sun.
- The loss of collagen also makes the skin thinner and sebum production decreases.
- Suffer from dry skin or thin skin
Preventing skin aging
Just like stress, sleep deprivation causes an increase in the hormone cortisol. This hormone has a negative effect on collagen production. In addition, sufficient sleep is also important, because you then produce the growth hormone HGH (human growth hormone). This hormone contributes to supple and firm skin.
2. Cleanse your skin thoroughly
Your skin has to endure a lot due to external factors in one day. This includes air pollution, make-up and sweat. It is therefore very important to cleanse your skin properly. This way your skin can breathe again and nourishing day or night creams have the chance to do their work.
3. Drink enough water and eat a healthy and varied diet
Dehydrated skin results in irritated skin. To compensate for dryness in the skin, the skin can react extra aggressively to external factors. This results in red, irritating and over-active skin.
4. Protect yourself from the sun
We don't leave the sun alone in this blog either. The sun, no matter how nice we like it, is a real culprit. Sun rays and UV rays cause skin aging. It is best not to go out in direct sunlight during noon and apply at least SPF 30 if you are in the sun.